The tunic

This fabric had been in my stash since the sewing expo in Puyallup about 4 years ago. I had since determined that black is not a great color on me and had decided to use it as my muslin fabric for a knit tunic pattern I was developing. When I took it to a sewing meetup one of the other sewers said it would be fabulous in reverse (the grey side you see). I decided to try it.

It was a struggle to get my brain to put the fabric together “inside out”. I probably ripped out every seam at least once. My serger was out of commission so I used a long but narrow zig zag to put it together. I chose the length to cover the back side and the widest part of my body. I added pockets because I like them in everything. It glides over my body but is not a tent with lots of fabric. It is comfortable to wear and light! I am happy. I challenged my brain in more ways than I thought.

My one sewing challenge was that the facing rolls out in spite of my understitching. I have had one recommendation to try making the facing a little smaller next time so that it wants to roll to the inside. Anyone else have thoughts?

Learning from my mistakes

This marvelous green knit fabric has been in my stash every since I created a basic t shirt pattern for myself 6 or 7 years ago.
My first mistake was a lucky accident. I accidentally cut out two front pieces. (I didn’t even realize I had enough fabric to do this). I had been wanting to try a surplice style top for a while and this presented the perfect opportunity.
Then as I looked at my finished hem and neckilne I realized why the women in the sewing group were so curious about what stitch I woud be using on my knit fabric. My neckline stitching was very visible due to the thread I used and it was not even in the most noticeable part of the V. My hemline was wavey due to using that same tight stitch. It had stretched into a ruffled bottom.

I was ready to throw it in the Goodwill pile and write it off and then I realized I needed to learn how to do it right. For the neckline I defaulted to a band around the V neck. There are fabulous instructions for this at web site that make it easy.

http://www.mesewcrazy.com/2013/07/easy-v-neck-sewing-tutorial.html
since the fabric was so stretchy I was able to use one of my small scraps to make the band.
For the hemline I just took my newly repaired serger out and cut it off. I then used the blind stitch on my regular machine to finish it off. It also required a couple of well placed hand stitches because I was still impatient and didn’t catch the fabric everywhere.
The final product is soft and easy to wear and provides a little pop of color in my charcoal outfit.