This marvelous green knit fabric has been in my stash every since I created a basic t shirt pattern for myself 6 or 7 years ago.
My first mistake was a lucky accident. I accidentally cut out two front pieces. (I didn’t even realize I had enough fabric to do this). I had been wanting to try a surplice style top for a while and this presented the perfect opportunity.
Then as I looked at my finished hem and neckilne I realized why the women in the sewing group were so curious about what stitch I woud be using on my knit fabric. My neckline stitching was very visible due to the thread I used and it was not even in the most noticeable part of the V. My hemline was wavey due to using that same tight stitch. It had stretched into a ruffled bottom.

I was ready to throw it in the Goodwill pile and write it off and then I realized I needed to learn how to do it right. For the neckline I defaulted to a band around the V neck. There are fabulous instructions for this at web site that make it easy.

http://www.mesewcrazy.com/2013/07/easy-v-neck-sewing-tutorial.html
since the fabric was so stretchy I was able to use one of my small scraps to make the band.
For the hemline I just took my newly repaired serger out and cut it off. I then used the blind stitch on my regular machine to finish it off. It also required a couple of well placed hand stitches because I was still impatient and didn’t catch the fabric everywhere.
The final product is soft and easy to wear and provides a little pop of color in my charcoal outfit.